Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity is seeking an innovative association manager to serve as Executive Director (ED). The ED is the chief staff officer of Sigma Lambda Beta and reports to the Executive Board of Directors (EBOD).
The Executive Director is responsible for the advancing of the organization’s mission through strategic objectives, daily management of financial operations, program development, and supervision of staff/volunteers. The Executive Director must be committed to the mission of Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity and possess the ability and leadership to create and maintain an organizational work environment that fosters collaboration, productivity, and a high level of member services.
Position Title: Executive Director
Organization Background: Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity is a historically Latino-based social fraternity that was founded in 1986 at the University of Iowa based on cultural understanding and wisdom. Most noteworthy is that 16 of the 18 founders were of Hispanic-Latino origin/descent.
We believe in the ideals of fairness, opportunity, and equality of all men without regard to their race, culture, sexual orientation and ethnic background. Our biggest goal is to see that all of society can realize the importance of these three ideals. In order to achieve this goal, members strive to model these behaviors and present ourselves in a gentlemanly and educated fashion.
Mission: To nurture and further a dynamic values-based environment which utilizes our historically Latino-based fraternity as a catalyst to better serve the needs and wants of all people.
Anticipated Start Date: June 1, 2017
Responsibility Relationship: Chairman of the Executive Board of Directors
Lead the Staff and Manage the Organization
- Hire, manage, discipline, and terminate staff
- Provide training and professional development opportunities to staff members
- Establish all office procedures, equipment, and space needs
- Develop and maintain critical relationships with the membership and foster cooperation among fraternity personnel, both volunteer and staff
Exercise Responsible Legal and Financial Stewardship
- Prepare the annual budget for approval by the Executive Board of Directors driven by strategic objectives
- Prepare financial reports for review by the Executive Board of Directors
- Retain all appropriate legal and historical fraternal records
- Oversee vendor selection for outsourced goods and service
Participate in Fundraising
- Serve as an ex-officio member of the Sigma Lambda Beta Educational Foundation Board
- Support the Executive Board of Directors on any Capital Campaigns that the board might pursue.
Follow the Highest Ethical Standards, Ensure Accountability, and Comply with the Law
- Work closely with the Fraternity’s accounting firm to comply with all IRS requirements
- Work closely with the Fraternity’s general counsel to comply with all federal, state, and local requirements
- Ensure all proper corporation, tax, and legal paperwork has been filed
- Enforce policies and procedures of the fraternity
- Serve as the legal agent of the fraternity regarding all contracts, agreements, and banking records
- Responsible for all financial transactions within the guidelines of the fraternity
- Prepare grant requests
- Negotiate and execute all contracts
Engage the Board in Planning and Lead Strategic Plan Implementation
- Aid in the facilitation of the strategic planning process
- Create annual operating plan based on strategic objectives
- Aid in the development of organizational policies with the Executive Board of Directors
Build External Relationships and Serve as an Advocate
- Represent the fraternity in the fraternal industry and with outside agencies
- Maintain relationships with external partners
Ensure the Quality and Effectiveness of Programs
- Oversee the development of necessary educational programs and resources that meet the needs of the membership and are consistent with the fraternity’s mission and strategic objectives
- Oversee collegiate chapter and alumni member services
- Organize, execute, and evaluate meetings of the fraternity; including but not limited to;
- Annual National Membership Meetings
- Executive Board of Director Meetings
- Volunteer Leadership Meetings
- Standing Committee Meetings
- Regional Director Caucus
Support the Board
- Provide resources for board development and training to increase knowledge of trends and best practices in the fraternal and nonprofit market
- Plan, in collaboration with the Chair, Executive Board of Directors meetings by assisting with the agenda creation, meeting logistics, recording of meeting minutes, and other duties related to hosting effective meetings
- Attend all meetings of the Executive Board of Directors, and Convention, without vote, and record the minutes
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of five years of related professional experience
- Excellent oral, written, and non-verbal communication skills
- Previous experience administering a budget where revenue, profits and losses need to be projected and tracked.
- Highly motivated and able to motivate others
- Stamina and flexibility as consecutive days of travel are likely
- Possess a valid United States driver license
- Three years’ experience with direct supervision
- Experience working with Risk Management Policy
- Master’s Degree in business administration, non-profit management, education, leadership, or related advanced degree
- Proven experience achieving organizational goals and outcomes
- Certified Association Executive
- Membership in a social Greek-letter organization, Sigma Lambda Beta preferred
- Ability to travel independently, without restriction
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to manage a virtual team
- Experience with membership databases (CRM)
- Experience managing office relocation logistics
Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with professional experience and includes a competitive benefits package.
Application Process: Submit resume, letter of interest, and contact information for three professional references to the Executive Director Search Committee via email to email@example.com no later than February 28, 2017.